Ohio Accident CompensationProperty damage claims occur when a vehicle is damaged in an auto accident due to the negligence or carelessness of another driver. Many auto accident claims only involve property damage, and do not involve any physical injuries.

Property damage claims include towing expenses, repairs to the damaged vehicle in a reputable repair shop or replacing the vehicle entirely, rental car expenses while the vehicle is being repaired or replaced, damage to other property stemming from the accident, and damage to personal items inside the vehicle. There may also be an additional claim for the decrease in value if the vehicle sustained extensive damage.

When you are involved in Ohio auto accident, one of the first things you would normally do is consult with a personal injury lawyer. But will personal injury lawyers accept your case if you only sustain property damage and suffer no injuries? The answer is likely no. But if the auto accident also results in injury, then an auto accident attorney will handle the personal injury aspect of your claim, and also handle the property damage aspect of your claim as a courtesy.

The reality is, not all individuals involved in an auto accident need legal representation from an attorney but most car accident lawyers choose not to handle property damage only claims. One of the primary reasons why it is unnecessary to hire a lawyer for property damage only claims is that there is very little to negotiate over the cost of replacing or repairing your vehicle. In a best-case scenario, you will be awarded the full value of your vehicle. But if you opt to hire an attorney and the attorney’s professional fees amount to a significant percentage of the settlement amount, then you would end up receiving less than the vehicle’s full value.

While some property damage claims may be complicated in nature, settling a property damage claim with the insurance company should be a simple and straightforward process, and is generally quicker and easier to resolve compared to injury claims.

A property damage claims adjuster assigned by the at-fault’s insurance company is usually in charge of resolving your claim. Typically, the process only requires you to make some phone calls and send a few letters to the insurance adjuster. As a result, most individuals handle these claims by themselves, without the assistance of a lawyer.

Of course, if you would feel more comfortable hiring an attorney for your property damage claim, then make some calls. There may be some personal injury attorneys who may be willing to accept your property damage claim, or at least give you legal advice on how best to handle the situation. If, however, you have reason to believe that you were injured in any way because of the accident, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer at the soonest possible time.

If you were injured in a car crash and are exploring your legal options then don’t hesitate to contact The Fitch Law Firm at (855) LAW-OHIO for a free initial case consultation.