Dog bites can happen to anyone and anywhere. You can suffer an attack at someone’s home, in a public place such as a park, at work, on the way to work, and elsewhere.
If you were hurt by someone else’s dog, a Columbus dog bite lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to help you pursue compensation in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit. The potentially recoverable damages in this type of case may include your medical bills, lost wages, and more.
To learn more about our services and your legal options in a free case review with a member of our team, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC today at (614) 545-3930. We represent our clients on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front fees or payments required.
Dog Bite Injuries
A dog attack can lead to damages such as:
- Abrasions, lacerations, bruises, and puncture wounds
- Broken and fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial disfigurement and scarring
- Rabies and other viral illnesses
- Mental and emotional trauma
These injuries can be expensive to treat, and you may have to undergo multiple treatments or even surgery after an attack, depending on the severity of your injuries.
Tragically, some dog attacks are fatal. If you lost a loved one in a dog attack, you may have the right to seek compensation. If the attack was the result of the carelessness, recklessness, or negligence of a dog owner or caretaker, the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to help you pursue compensation in a wrongful death case.
To discuss your case for free with a member of our team, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC at (614) 545-3930. If we work together on your case, a Columbus dog bite lawyer from our firm can help you evaluate your losses and determine whom you may be able to sue for damages. We can also help you gather evidence and understand the laws and insurance rules that apply to your case.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bites lawyer serving Columbus, call 614-963-2808
Understanding Dog Bite Laws
You can sue for a dog bite because dog bites are a form of personal injury. This may include dog bites that occur while you were on the owner’s property.
Ohio’s laws regarding dog attacks are located in Ohio Revised Code (ORC) §955.28. This law indicates the ways in which a dog owner may be liable for the injuries their dog causes when it attacks someone else.
In general, you may be able to recover compensation in a dog bite case if you can prove the following elements:
- That the animal in question attacked you
- That you were not trespassing when you were attacked
- That because of the negligence of the owner or caretaker of the dog, you suffered the attack
- That the attack led to physical, mental, emotional, financial, or other losses to you
The Fitch Law Firm LLC can help you collect evidence of the above elements when we represent you. This may include surveillance camera footage, the statements of eyewitnesses, medical bills, photos of your injuries, and more.
Columbus Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me 614-963-2808
How an Attorney Can Help
When we work together, a Columbus dog bite lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to manage all of the legal work in your case. In general, our firm may be able to:
- Handle all communications and paperwork in your case
- Identify the parties you may be able to hold responsible for the attack
- Collect evidence of their liability
- Estimate the value of your damages
- Interview bystanders and eyewitnesses who saw the attack unfold
- Submit your personal injury insurance claim and/or lawsuit by the filing deadline
- Negotiate on your behalf with the at-fault party’s insurer and work toward a settlement
- Represent you at trial if a settlement cannot be reached
Throughout this process, the Fitch Law Firm LLC can also answer your questions and keep you updated on your case so that you can focus on your recovery.
Damages that May Be Available in a Dog Bite Case
Depending on the nature of your accident and your injuries, the potentially recoverable damages in a personal injury case may include, but are not limited to:
- Your current and future costs of medical treatment
- Lost wages for the time when your recovery process forced you to miss work
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
A different set of damages may be available to surviving family members in a wrongful death claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Time Is Limited to Sue in Ohio
A failure to take action by the deadline that applies to your lawsuit could mean that your case gets dismissed.
The Fitch Law Firm LLC encourages you to call us as soon as possible after your accident. The sooner you call us, the sooner we may be able to start working on your case.
Call the Fitch Law Firm LLC Today
The Fitch Law Firm LLC believes that negligent dog owners should be held responsible when their animals attack. If you were hurt by someone else’s dog, a Columbus dog bite lawyer from our firm may be able to fight for compensation on your behalf.
To discuss your case for free with a member of our team, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC at (614) 545-3930. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis, where you are not obligated to pay us attorney fees unless and until we help you recover compensation via a settlement offer or court award.