Significant damage can occur when semi-trucks, tanker trucks, 18-wheelers, and other types of trucks collide with a passenger vehicle. If you are the victim of a truck accident in Columbus, Ohio, you could be facing a major recovery process, time missed at work, a totaled vehicle, and other losses.
Fortunately, Ohio personal injury law may allow you to recover compensation for your damages if the truck driver’s negligence caused your accident. A Columbus truck accident lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to represent you after such an accident in settlement negotiations or on trial.
If you believe a truck driver, or their employer, may be to blame for your accident, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC today. A representative of our firm can discuss your case and your legal options in a free consultation when you call us at (614) 953-6072.
Fighting Back Against Reckless Truck Drivers
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that there were over 4,000 fatalities from large truck accidents in 2018. Of the victims who lost their lives, 67% were in passenger cars. As for the truck drivers themselves, they only accounted for 16% of the fatalities.
Even when you are lucky enough to escape a truck accident with your life, the injuries and losses you face can follow you for years to come. Sadly, countless families deal with the fallout of these crashes every year. According to data collected by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 148,000 people were injured in large truck accidents in 2017.
If you were injured in such an accident, a Columbus truck accident lawyer at the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to represent you in a personal injury lawsuit. In the tragic event that your loved one passed away in an accident caused by a truck driver, we may be able to help you pursue compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit. In either type of action, our firm can build your case and gather evidence to show who was truly responsible for your losses.
While you do not explicitly need an attorney to take legal action in injury cases, some victims choose to do so because many trucking companies have in-house lawyers ready to defend their version of events. When the Fitch Law Firm LLC represents you, we can handle all communications and negotiations on your behalf.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Columbus, call 614-963-2808
Behavior by Truck Drivers That May Prove Negligence
If you choose to retain a Columbus truck accident lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we can research all the contributing factors that led up to your accident. These methods may include:
- Calling upon outside experts to examine skid marks and other evidence that can be scientifically analyzed
- Using accident specialists to perform reconstructions of the crash scene
- Examining police reports
- Obtaining surveillance footage
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Reviewing documentation of accident-related injuries
- Requesting evidence from the trucking company
- And more
We will be investigating your accident for any negligent act that may have caused it. This may be:
- A traffic law violation by the truck driver, such as failure to yield, speeding, and illegal turn, running a red light or stop sign, etc.
- The truck driver falling asleep behind the wheel
- The truck driving operating their vehicle while intoxicated
- Unsecured cargo from the truck falling onto the road
- A defective truck component or mechanical failure that caused the accident
While there are other specific acts of negligence that may lead to truck accidents, the important thing to remember is that the Ohio courts will carefully listen to both sides before making their judgment. That means you may need to show them how the responsible party acted negligently and why you believe you should be awarded damages for your losses.
Fortunately, with the Fitch Law Firm LLC in your corner, you will not have to worry about the pressures of the courtroom. We can work to demonstrate liability while also providing documentation that helps assign a monetary value to your case. Our goal will be to reach a favorable out-of-court settlement, but if this is not possible, we can take your case to trial and defend your rights before a judge or jury.
To learn more, contact a team member at the Fitch Law Firm LLC today at (614) 953-6072.
Columbus Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 614-963-2808
Recoverable Damages in a Truck Accident Case
The recoverable damages in a truck accident case may include:
- Expenses related to medical treatments, rehabilitation, and accommodations stemming from your injuries
- Your estimated future costs of medical care
- Lost wages for the time you had to miss at work
- Reduced earning capability
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- And more
If you are pursuing a wrongful death case, your recoverable damages may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Treatment required prior to your loved one’s death
- Loss of income and support
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain and suffering
- And more
Common truck accidents include:
- Jackknifes – Where the tractor and trailer are both moving in the same direction, fold toward each other resulting in the tractor facing one way, the trailer facing another.
- Truck read-ends – Where a car is rear ended by a truck at a red light, stop sign or due to slowed down traffic ahead
- Intersection collisions – Often involve right-of-way violations, or certain kinds of turns obstructing the path of regular cars
- Sideswipes – The result of blind spots, more commonly on the right had side.
- Rollovers – A trucks high center of gravity and cargo shifting can increase their risk of a rollover.
Truck Accident Lawyers Who Do Not Back Down From a Challenge
With so much power in the palm of their hands, truck drivers should always stay vigilant. Unfortunately, as you may know by now, these accidents often happen without warning and without reason.
If you decide to turn to a Columbus truck accident lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we can work to hold the negligent party that injured you responsible for their actions. We handle many truck accident cases on a contingency-fee basis, where we only collect attorney fees if and when you recover compensation in a settlement offer or court award.
For more information about our services, contact a representative of the Fitch Law Firm LLC today for your free consultation at (614) 953-6072.