When a negligent dog owner allows their pet to bite and injure someone, the owner may be liable for the victim’s damages.
If you were bitten by a dog, a Springfield dog bite lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC may be able to help you fight for compensation in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit. Hiring a lawyer can allow you time to recover in peace while we manage all of the legal work in your case.
To get started, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC at (614) 545-3930. A member of our team will be happy to review your case and answer your questions at no charge. If you qualify, we may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required.
The Consequences of Dog Bites
A dog may bite or attack someone for a variety of reasons, but when it comes down to it, the owner has a general duty of care to stop their dog from biting others. This is true whether a dog bite occurs in a public or private space, including the owner’s home.
Once you have been bitten by a dog, it is vital that you take steps to prevent infection right away. The Cleveland Clinic recommends cleaning the wound, applying antibiotic cream, bandaging the wound, and then going to a doctor. This should all be done within eight hours of the attack to minimize the chance of infection.
In addition to cuts and bite wounds, a dog attack may cause:
- Ligament damage
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- And other concerning medical complications
For a free legal consultation with a dog bites lawyer serving Springfield, call 614-545-3930
You May Be Eligible for Compensation
If a dog attacks or bites you while you were behaving in a lawful manner, the dog’s owner may be legally responsible for all personal injuries and property damage caused by the attack. This is according to Ohio Revised Code (ORC) §955.28.
The Fitch Law Firm LLC can help you figure out which damages you may qualify for. In general, the potentially recoverable damages in a dog bite case may include:
Economic damages function as compensation for accident-related expenses and financial losses. For instance, you could qualify for economic damages if you lost money due to:
- Medical treatments: if you needed surgery, medical tests, prescription medicine, physical therapy, or other treatments to manage your injuries
- Loss of wages, pension, etc.: if you could not go to work because of your injuries
- Reduced earning capacity: if your injury has permanent consequences that restrict your ability to earn a living in the future
- Other expenses: if you paid a housekeeper, landscaper, nanny, or others to help you with tasks that would normally fall on your shoulders during your recovery
You might also be eligible to recover non-economic damages. These are damages that do not have a price tag but may include either physical or psychological harm. Examples of non-economic damages may include:
- Scars: if your injuries left behind obvious marks that affect you physically and/or psychologically
- Pain and suffering: if your injuries, or even the accident itself, caused you distress or anguish
- Disability: if you have lost certain physical or intellectual abilities
- Loss of quality of life: if you are no longer able to engage in the same activities you once did (e.g., play sports, cook for yourself, etc.)
These are not the only damages that may appear in a personal injury case.
For a free case review with a member of our team, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC today at (614) 545-3930.
Springfield Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me 614-545-3930
How a Lawyer Can Help You
When you work with a Springfield dog bite lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we can provide you with a variety of legal services while you focus on your recovery. In general, we may be able to:
- Advise you: Your lawyer can provide you with legal advice and help you understand the laws and legal precedents that may impact your case.
- Collect evidence: Your lawyer can seek out medical records, police reports, witness statements, and more to show that your dog bite happened the way you say it did. We can also gather evidence of your damages and their value.
- Handle all communications: To avoid giving the insurance company a chance to use your words against you, your lawyer can handle all communications with the insurance companies on your behalf.
- File paperwork: You do not need to concern yourself with finding and filing the correct forms or filing something late when you work with the Fitch Law Firm LLC. We can handle all paperwork in your case, including notifying the liable party about the suit and, if necessary, scheduling court dates.
- Pursue compensation: We can fight as hard as we can for a fair settlement offer. If the responsible party’s insurance company does not offer a fair amount of money, we are willing to set up a trial to continue the fight for compensation.
Call the Fitch Law Firm LLC Today
It can be hard enough to adjust to a new normal after an accident without also worrying about bills or a lawsuit. By hiring a Springfield dog bite lawyer from the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we can take the burden of pursuing compensation off your shoulders.
To learn more about our services and your options in a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call the Fitch Law Firm LLC at (614) 545-3930.
We charge no fees upfront. Instead, the Fitch Law Firm LLC works on a contingency-fee-basis. This means our attorney fees are “contingent” on you winning your case and recovering compensation via a settlement offer or court award. If we cannot win your case, we charge you nothing at all for our labor.