Operating a motor vehicle while impaired (OVI), or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, is dangerous – and illegal. Despite this, thousands of people drink and drive every year, and thousands more are killed or injured in drinking-related accidents. If you or a loved one was involved in a drunk driving accident in Dayton, we are here to help.
You may qualify to file a claim or lawsuit against the intoxicated driver who caused the accident. Our team can gather evidence, quantify your damages, and file a compensation claim to fight for your financial recovery. You can learn more about drunk OVI laws and how to recover damages with support from a Dayton drunk driving accident lawyer during a free case review from our firm.
Recovering Damages After a Collision with a Drunk Driver in Dayton
Ohio is an at-fault state, which means you file a personal injury claim with the liable party’s insurer after an accident to recover compensation. Alternatively, you can sue for financial recovery if your losses exceed the policy limits, or their insurer refuses to offer a fair settlement for your damages.
Any losses or damages that you can prove resulted from the drunk driving collision can be included in your claim. Examples of losses and damages often seen in OVI accident cases include:
- Medical expenses, including emergency care, doctor’s visits, surgery costs, prescription costs, rehabilitation fees, and ambulance fees
- Loss of income or earning potential
- Property and vehicle damage
- Pain, suffering, and emotional trauma
Financial Recovery Depends on the Strength of Your Case Evidence
How much you stand to receive in compensation depends on the evidence you have against the liable party and how strongly you negotiate with their insurer. Evidence that we can help you gather in support of your financial recovery includes:
- The official police report of the collision
- Surveillance video
- Eyewitness testimony on how the accident occurred
- Dram shop/alcohol vendor testimony
- Driver BAC or breathalyzer test results
When we take over your case, our team will put the time and resources into collecting evidence and building a compelling claim. Then, we will present this claim to the insurer and steer negotiations in your favor. If our firm doesn’t secure a settlement for you, we will move on to the next option: filing a lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving Dayton, call 614-545-3930
Filing Deadlines For Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuits in Ohio
If you need to file a lawsuit, winning your case also means you must meet all applicable filing requirements, such as filing within the statutes of limitations. As per Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10, you generally have two years within which to file a personal injury lawsuit against the party responsible for your collision. Wrongful death lawsuits are also subject to a two-year time limit under Ohio Revised Code Section 2125.02.
If you miss the filing deadline, you run the risk of losing the opportunity to recover compensation for all of your accident-related losses and damages.
Dayton Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 614-545-3930
How a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer From Our Firm Can Help
In addition to gathering evidence to support your case, an attorney from our firm can help you with the following:
- Identifying all compensable damages relevant to your claim
- Quantifying the dollar value for each category of damage
- Walking you through what you need to know about insurance and personal injury laws
- Calculating any non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, if applicable
- Negotiating with the insurer of the at-fault party
- Representing you in court if we cannot reach a fair settlement agreement
We will also seek out testimony from expert witnesses such as doctors and economists to accurately assess your losses in terms of disability, lost income, inability to work, and pain and suffering. This is required for you to be fairly and fully compensated for your losses.
Client Testimonials Regarding Our Personal Injury Services
At the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we have over 30 years of experience working on personal injury cases of all types. The testimonials below provide a summary of our approach toward personal injury cases of different types and how we can help victims and their families after an accident:
- “Right from the start they were extremely helpful . They explained how the process would go based on our specifics of the accident and then basically did all the work to file a claim and get all that we were entitled to.” – Steve Rogers
- “After our car accident, we were so overwhelmed by the insurance companies, and Kirstin made everything so easy for us. We never would have gotten such a good settlement without her. They seem to really care about their clients, and they are very responsive. They worked hard to answer our questions thoroughly and in a timely manner.” – Julianna Poole-Sawyer
Legal Fees Should Not Prevent You From Holding a Drunk Driver Responsible
At the Fitch Law Firm LLC, we only collect attorney’s fees if you prevail. We provide free, no-commitment case consultations, and if you do not win, you do not pay for our representation. Our team will handle your case from start to finish and will only collect once your case is decided and you are awarded either a settlement or a compensation package.
A single accident can fling your financial well-being into jeopardy; as long as you have grounds on which to file a claim or lawsuit, you should avail that opportunity.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Firm About a Dayton Drunk Driving Accident Case Today
Drunk driving accident losses and expenses can quickly add up. Our Dayton car accident team will walk you through everything you need to know about your case. We will help you with gathering evidence, quantifying your damages, and completing all of the legal formalities related to your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
If you were involved in a drunk driving accident in any capacity, contact the Fitch Law Firm at (937) 660-4232. When you call, you’ll receive a free case review with one of our team members and learn about the next steps to take.