In general, there are a few steps you can take to protect your rights in the first minutes, hours, and days following your collision. These include:
- Only talking to police and only giving them the basic facts of the accident
- Not talking about the accident and the cause with anyone else on the scene
- Keeping as calm as possible
- Getting medical attention on the scene of the accident and following the recommendations of first responders
- Seeing your doctor for an evaluation as soon as possible after the accident if you did not receive emergency medical treatment from first responders
- Writing or recording exactly what happened in detail as soon as you can so that you can refresh your memory later if necessary
An attorney from our firm can also help you protect your rights after a motorcycle accident. We can give you specific advice tailored to your situation, evaluate your case at no cost to you, and explain your options for seeking compensation.
How will a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Protect My Rights?
A lawyer from our firm who understands motorcycle accident cases can go to work immediately to protect your rights and help you develop a strong case for financial recovery. We may be able to help you recover compensation through an insurance claim against the other driver’s liability policy or by suing the at-fault motorist in civil court.
We can handle many aspects of your legal case, including all communication with the insurance companies and other parties involved. Keep in mind that the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier may use statements you give them to try to reduce the value of your case or disqualify you from taking legal action, even if their interpretation of your words was not what you meant.
We Can Help You File Your Case on Time
We can also ensure that you meet the applicable deadlines when you contact us with enough time left to do so. This is key in ensuring you can sue the driver for compensation if necessary.
You may have up to two years to sue the at-fault party in a personal injury lawsuit, per Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10. The deadline for a wrongful death lawsuit is also two years under Ohio Revised Code Section 2125.02.
Protecting Your Rights May Help You Recover a Fair Settlement or Court Award
After a motorcycle accident, you have the right to sue the negligent party who caused the accident for a fair and just payout based on your expenses and losses. Doing what you can do to protect your rights after a motorcycle accident may prevent complications in the insurance claims or lawsuit process. These complications could include the insurance company or at-fault driver:
- Denying your injuries occurred in the accident
- Denying your injuries were as severe as they were
- Claiming you caused the accident
- Claiming you contributed to the accident or your injuries
- Using your words against you at trial
- Otherwise, trying to reduce the payout you could receive based on the facts of your case
If any of these do occur, your legal team will combat them by presenting evidence to support your claim, including calling in expert witnesses as necessary.
Building a Case for Money Damages Following a Motorcycle Accident
If another driver caused your motorcycle collision, you might be able to recover compensation for your related damages. A motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm can help you navigate this process, even while you finish your treatment and work toward healing from your injuries.
You may be able to secure a financial recovery that includes compensation for expenses and losses such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Medical care expenses and future related costs
- Lost income and reduced ability to earn
- Motorcycle repair or replacement
- Out-of-pocket costs
You Can Reach Our Motorcycle Accident Team Today at no Cost to You
At the Fitch Law Firm LLC, our team will be happy to review and assess your case for free. We will speak with you today about your collision, injuries, and other important details. We can explain your rights and how we can protect them and represent your best interests throughout the claims process.
If we decide to work with one another on your case, we will represent you based on contingency. You will not need to pay us any attorney fees out of your pocket. We only get paid from the settlement or court award we win for you.
Call (614) 545-3930 now to discuss your case with our team.