If you want to know what you should do in the days following a truck accident, we advise that you:
- Contact the client intake team at a personal injury law firm
- Continue to receive medical care for the injuries you sustained
- Obtain your crash report to prove the cause of the collision
If the truck driver was at fault for the collision because of negligence, you might be entitled to recoup the costs of medical care for your injuries. You might also be entitled to receive compensation for the costs related to your injuries, such as lost wages and emotional trauma. A personal injury lawyer can ensure you are aware of each step you should take in the personal injury litigation process.
Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm Right Away
Your right to financial compensation after a truck accident has limitations. Complying with the statute of limitations is a crucial part of your compensation claim. Failing to comply may put your pursuit of compensation at risk.
In Ohio, the following limitations apply:
- Generally, the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) § 2305.10 gives plaintiffs two years to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party.
- The ORC § 2125.02 also allows surviving family members to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault party on their loved one’s behalf. They must do so within two years of their loved one’s death.
With advanced notice, a personal injury law firm can ensure your lawsuit is filed in compliance with the relevant statute of limitations.
For a free legal consultation with a what should i do in the days following a truck accident? lawyer serving Columbus, call 614-963-2808
Get Your Truck Accident Injuries Fully Assessed
If you or a family member were injured in a truck accident, seek immediate medical attention. Doing so is good for your health, as you will be able to have your injuries assessed, diagnosed, and treated. Also, from a legal perspective, getting medical help and having your injuries logged down in your medical records can serve as evidence for your case.
The records and bills from the medical attention you receive may also help your lawyer start assessing the costs of your medical care and building a case file for your recoverable expenses. In addition to your current and future medical expenses, your total recoverable damages may include:
- Current and future income loss
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Property repair or replacement
Because severe truck accident injuries may require long-term treatment plans and recovery times, compiling your medical records and bills can take time. Your lawyer will account for all your medical bills and other expenses to assign a monetary value to your claim or lawsuit.
Columbus What Should I Do in the Days Following a Truck Accident? Lawyer Near Me 614-963-2808
Obtain a Copy of Your Crash Report
To qualify for financial compensation from the at-fault party, you must be able to prove the accident was caused by negligence. Your crash report might give your legal team the information they need to show who and what caused the accident and how to reach the parties involved. It might contain contact information for:
- The at-fault driver
- The driver’s insurance provider
- Accident witnesses
- The investigating officer
Your crash report may also contain additional information, such as:
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- Accident scene diagrams
- Whether alcohol was involved
- Points of impact
- Witness statements
- Weather conditions
- Road conditions
Know the Benefits of a Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
In Ohio, you are allowed to handle your compensation claim on your own. However, should you decide to work with a lawyer, they may offer multiple legal services to help you with your case, such as:
- Keeping you updated as your case progresses
- Assigning a value to your compensation claim or lawsuit
- Filing your lawsuit within the statute of limitations
- Negotiating with the at-fault party and their insurer
- Compiling evidence to support your claims and arguments
If you choose to have a personal injury lawyer represent you, you can concentrate on your physical recovery while your lawyer concentrates on leading your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Member of Our Personal Injury Team
If you or a family member were injured in a truck accident, a personal injury lawyer may advise you on what you should do in the days following a truck accident. If you are interested in pursuing financial compensation to potentially recover your damages, our firm is here to help. Contact a personal injury team member at the Fitch Law Firm, LLC, by calling (614) 963-2808 today.