The birth of your child should be a memorable moment full of happiness. However, sometimes doctors and nurses make mistakes during delivery that can cause serious injuries to your baby. Doctors and nurses undergo extensive training and should know the proper protocols to deliver a baby safely. Therefore, you need to know the actions you can take to hold medical professionals accountable for injuries they cause.
The Fitch Law Firm LLC understands the suffering your child might feel because of the actions of medical professionals. At our firm, our Dayton birth injury lawyers help parents advocate for their children by representing you to get the compensation your child deserves.
How Much Could My Birth Injury Case be Worth?
It is difficult to provide an exact dollar figure for how much a birth injury lawsuit could be worth because all cases are different. During a free consultation, our attorneys can discuss your situation and discuss the potential value of your case. Assessing your economic and noneconomic losses can help determine the value of a lawsuit.
Birth injuries can lead to extensive costs and losses. Calculating your economic and noneconomic damages is one of the first steps to determining the value of your case. Economic damages are verifiable losses. Noneconomic damages are more subjective and do not have an exact monetary value.
You could recover compensation for these economic damages in a birth injury case:
- Medical care: Your child may need surgeries or ongoing medical care because of the injury they sustained at birth. You can include any injury-related costs such as emergency room bills, doctor’s visits, rehabilitation costs, medications, and surgeries in your claim.
- Special education: If your child’s injury caused them to require special education services, you could add those costs to your claim.
- Assistive devices: Leg braces, wheelchairs, and communication devices can be costly if your child needs them because of their injury.
- Modifications to home or vehicle: If your child is in a wheelchair, you might need to install a ramp going up into the house. You may also need a vehicle that has a wheelchair lift. These can be costly modifications that you can claim.
Noneconomic Damages Can Be More Difficult to Calculate
Noneconomic damages do not have an exact monetary value associated with them. However, our attorneys can help you estimate the value of each noneconomic damage to determine your claim’s total worth.
Noneconomic damages include:
- Pain and suffering: This award places a value on the severe physical and emotional pain your child suffers due to their injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment: Your child may not get the complete pleasure out of life they would have experienced were it not for their injury. Expert witnesses could testify how the injury negatively affects their lives to prove this loss.
For a free legal consultation with a birth injury lawyer serving Dayton, call 614-545-3930
We Are on Your Side at The Fitch Law Firm LLC
We have practiced accident and personal injury law for over 30 years at The Fitch Law Firm LLC. We understand that a birth injury can cause large medical expenses and treatment costs that could lead to financial hardship. At our firm, you pay nothing unless you recover money from your case. We don’t charge upfront fees.
Other reasons to choose our firm for your birth injury case include:
- We want you to receive justice for your child’s injuries. If medical professionals make a mistake and your child suffers an injury because of it, they should be held accountable.
- We know how to achieve a successful outcome with insurance companies. We aim to reach a fair settlement covering your present and future losses. However, if we cannot settle your claim, we will not hesitate to represent you during a trial.
- Our attorneys understand Ohio law. This understanding allows us to craft the right strategy to fight for the compensation you deserve. We are passionate about providing our clients with quality legal representation.
Our firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients in past cases.
Dayton Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 614-545-3930
Common Causes of Birth Injuries
Many factors can cause a birth injury. Often, doctors do everything they can, but an injury still occurs. However, cases occasionally occur where a doctor or nurse makes a mistake that causes the birth injury. In these instances, a Dayton birth injury lawyer can help you seek compensation.
Birth injuries often occur because of:
- Large babies: Birth weight is over 8 pounds, 13 ounces.
- Obstructed labor: This injury often is due to a condition called cephalopelvic disproportion, when the mother’s pelvis does not have an adequate size and shape to deliver vaginally.
- Breech birth: The baby makes its way through the birth canal bottom-first.
In these cases, the doctors and nurses need to be aware of the situation and deliver the baby with due care. If they attempt a vaginal delivery when it is inappropriate for both the mother and the baby, these birth injuries could occur:
- Brachial palsy: This injury could cause permanent nerve damage in the shoulder (brachial plexus). These nerves extend into the arm and hands. In some cases, special arm exercises could heal these injuries. However, the damage could also be permanent.
- Facial paralysis:Pressure on a baby’s face during labor or birth could injure their facial nerves, leading to no movement on the side of the face where the injury occurred. If the nerve was bruised, the paralysis could heal within a few weeks. However, a torn nerve could require surgery.
- Lack of oxygen: There can be very serious injuries leading to neurological complications.
Call us Today for a Free Consultation
If your child has suffered a birth injury, The Fitch Law Firm LLC wants to advocate for you. You deserve to receive compensation after a medical professional’s malpractice caused your child’s injury. We know how to deal with insurance companies and fight for the compensation your family is entitled to receive.