All drivers owe all road users, including motorcyclists, a responsibility to follow all road rules and regulations. Part of this obligation is making safe lane changes. Ohio Revised Code (ORC) §4511.33 mandates that all drivers must indicate their lane change, make sure they have enough room to switch lanes, and keep three feet of distance between all motorcyclists on the road. If they fail to perform all these tasks safely, they may cause a serious accident, leading to serious injuries or even death.
If you or a loved one was a victim of a motorcycle accident due to an unsafe lane change, you may be able to recover your related damages. Let a Columbus unsafe lane change accident lawyer take over your legal fight while you heal from the accident—both mentally and physically.
Contact the Fitch Law Firm LLC today at (614) 545-3930 for a free consultation. As we work on a contingency fee basis, we charge you no upfront or out-of-pocket fees. We only take our payment if you receive compensation.
You May Have Suffered Serious Injuries That Impacted Your Life
As a motorcyclist, you do not have much protection other than a helmet. When a vehicle strikes your motorcycle, you might suffer terrible injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones
- Lacerations and bruises
- Loss of limbs
These injuries and others might force you to take on a completely different lifestyle. Even though your life might not be the same again, there is hope to get it back to as normal as possible, and you may be able to pursue compensation from the negligent party. Take a look below to see what damages you could recover.
Loss of Income
Your injuries may keep you from working at your job full-time or even part-time. Your employer may have had to let you go, forcing you to look for a different or lower-paying job.
Serious injuries need intensive medical care. When you file your case, you can claim medical bills for emergency transportation, doctor’s appointments, physical therapy and chiropractic sessions, surgeries, medical equipment, pain medications, among other medical necessities.
Your motorcycle might have been your only method of transportation. Even if it was for recreational activity, you still may be able to claim its repair or replacement costs in your case. If your other belongings were damaged or destroyed in the accident, you could be reimbursed for those as well.
Pain and Suffering
The emotional anguish and physical pain from the accident could be so debilitating that you may have fallen into a depression or no longer enjoy the activities you once did before the accident.
It is not fair for you to undergo such losses after an accident, especially when you are not at fault. A Columbus unsafe lane change accident lawyer can help you throughout the legal process, including determining what your damages are worth when you file your case. Call the Fitch Law Firm LLC’s Columbus office at (614) 545-3930 today.
For a free legal consultation with a unsafe lane change motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Columbus, call 614-545-3930
What May Have Caused the Accident
Accidents are often preventable, but drivers are sometimes careless and negligent while driving. Finding out the cause of the unsafe lane change accident is one of the most important aspects of your case, as it determines who is responsible. Possible scenarios that led to the accident might be:
- Speeding: Drivers are often in a hurry and may end up speeding. This behavior is very dangerous, as the driver can lose control of the car or not have enough time to stop or change lanes safely. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that more than 9,300 people were killed because of speeding in 2018.
- Distracted driving: With noisy passengers, loud music, and cellphones, it can be difficult to concentrate on the road. The driver can then drift into another lane without seeing the motorcyclist and hit them.
- Driving while intoxicated: As we know it, drunk drivers are more likely to make poor decisions behind the wheel. The effects of alcohol can inhibit one’s vision and concentration. Since a motorcycle is small compared to a motor vehicle, the drunk driver may drive into another lane, striking the motorcyclist.
Note that these are just three of the many causes of unsafe lane change accidents. You might also want to keep in mind that it is not always the driver’s fault. Maybe a mechanic put in a part incorrectly, or the city did not clean up snow on the street, making it slick and slippery. In these cases, when it came time to change lanes, these uncontrollable factors may have caused the accident.
Columbus Unsafe Lane Change Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 614-545-3930
Services a Lawyer Can Provide
In addition to assessing your damages, a lawyer can help you with other aspects of building your case. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting evidence: Medical bills, pay stubs, photos of injuries, your motorcycle, the other vehicle, and the accident scene, video footage of the sequence of the accident, eyewitness testimony, and the crash report can all serve as proof to show you were not at-fault for the accident.
- Negotiating: Insurance companies can offer a low settlement at first, but your lawyer can negotiate for a higher amount on your behalf. If both parties fail to reach a fair agreement, your lawyer can represent you at trial.
- Meeting state deadlines: Should you decide to file a lawsuit, you only have a certain amount of time to do so. ORC §2305.10 gives those filing a personal injury lawsuit two years. ORC §2125.02 allows the same time for family members who lost a loved one to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Given sufficient notice, your lawyer can have your lawsuit ready to submit by the end of the statute of limitations.
Get in Touch with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Remember that when you hire a Columbus unsafe lane change accident lawyer, they are your advocate as well as your consultant during your entire case. To learn more about how the Fitch Law Firm LLC can assist you, give us a call today at (614) 545-3930.